Rhett Charles Benik
January 19, 2012
1:44am
6 lbs. 7 oz.
20 in.
And this is his birth story:
It was Wednesday, Januray 18th, 3 and a half weeks before Baby's due date. It was 11pm and I was hungry. I went into the kitchen to get some cookies and thats where and when my water broke. I called my Mother to let her know to get a flight out for that next morning and then my best friend, Brittany, to come stay with Lola until my Mom's flight got in. I then took a shower and finished packing my hospital bag. My contractions were still irregular and hardly noticeable so I took my sweet time getting ready. Around 12:45am the contractions started picking up in intensity and were coming every 3-5 minutes so we decided it was time to go to the hospital. By 1:20 I was admitted, in bed and checked. The contractions were then coming every 2-3 minutes and hurting enough that I had to focus on my breathing to get through them. I was 5cm dilated and 90% effaced. They hooked up my IV and checked me again. I was between 6 and 7cm and the contractions were one on top of the other and REALLY hurting. The nurse went to call the anethesiologist and my doctor. A few minutes later a huge contraction came that I thought for sure would never end. At that point, the head nurse came in and checked me and found that I was 8cm and the baby was 'on his way'. She called for the delivery table to be brought in and then told me I was going to have to do this on my own because we didnt have time for any meds or the doctor. My heart sank and my head started swimming and I couldnt even see straight from the pain of the contractions. It was like a bad dream where you have no control over whats happening and I was SO scared! All the what ifs were racing through my mind and I was so nervous about my doctor not being there to oversee and wondering if the nurses really knew what they were doing?! Another few minutes of blinding pain and I was 10cm, fully effaced, and the baby was crowning. At that point it was almost impossible not to push but the nurses kept telling me not to like they thought if I could hold out a few more minutes, my doctor would have time to get there. But Baby Boy was not waiting for anyone! And the pain was so excruciating I just wanted it to end and holding him in was even more painful, so I pushed (throughout all of this Luke stood right by my side holding my hand and reassuring me that everything was going to be alright. He kept telling me I was doing great and I could do this and that he was so proud of me. I'm so grateful I had him there because I was so scared and dont know how I could have done it without him). Baby Boy was out in just a few pushes. It hurt so crazy bad, I cant even explain it in words (nor would you want me to)! It was seriously the worst, most painful 10 minutes of my life! But I know that I am really lucky in that it was only 10 minutes while others who deliver naturally can go through that pain for hours. Baby Boy was born at 1:44am. It was the fastest 24 minute birth (that I seriously thought was going to be more like 3-5 hours and with an epidural). I will never, ever forget it!! Because it all happened so fast and he was premature, the nurses immediately cut his cord and wisked him away to thouroughly check him over. After what seemed like an hour, they finally brought him over to me. I loved him the moment I laid eyes on him. He was so tiny and calm and would peek out of his little eyes to look at me while I held and kissed him. Right away it was evident who this baby's daddy was- nearly every feature of his was Luke's exactly- His hairline, forehead, eyes, nose, chin and cleft, feet and bum! And he had tons of dark, dark hair! He was beautiful and as perfect as I had imagined him to be. All that I went through to get him here was worth it and I'd do it 100 times over for him. I am so lucky to get to be this amazing little boy's Momma and am so in love with him already :)
This is one of my favortie pictures because it shows just how much like Luke he looks. Honestly, so much its a little scary but totally cute at the same time :)
Lola came to the hospital to meet her new baby brother first thing that morning. I love her face in this first picture below because you can tell she's trying to put it all together and not quite sure what all to think. It only took her about 5 minutes before she was as in love with him as the rest of us. Brooklyn came after school that day and again the next day. She was really cute and sweet with him. And so motherly, it was adorable. We're glad the girls like him so much :)













2 comments:
That look on Lola's face is priceless. Rhett sue is adorable, I miss his fat bum!
Congrats on the new baby boy. he sure is a cutie. He is lucky to have such a great family. Boys are so much fun also.
Post a Comment